Cairns West Medical Centre is a leading specialist health provider in general practice services to the Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACF) sector.
One of the most significant factors in providing quality residential aged care is to ensure that there is sufficient medical expertise provided by skilled practitioners at the RACF.
Aged-care residents, particularly those in high care, need readily available access to a doctor – perhaps more than any other members of society. The clinical care outcomes of our residents will always be our primary focus.
We have developed a medical service that incorporates the best practice for residential aged care, namely the chronic care model that addresses not only the residents’ complex health needs but also supports the facilities accreditation and funding needs.
Cairns West Medical Centre already offers a professional, personalised, comprehensive & convenient general practice care to several nursing homes.
d caring general practice service to residents of aged care facilities
GP's ensure that quality care is delivered through participation in important programs such as
- Comprehensive Medical Assessments (CMA's): prompt documentation of diagnoses and medical directives for Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) purposes & Identifying medical/nursing interventions that are relevant to ACFI
- Contribution to a resident's Care Plan: collaborative approach to caring together with the RACF
- Residential Medication Management Reviews (RMMR's): reduces polypharmacy and its consequences contributing to improved clinical indicators
- Participation to case conferences and family meetings: maintains a collaborative relationship with the resident, relative and multidisciplinary team – assisting recipients of care to achieve active control of their own lives within residential care service
Our specialist healthcare services to the aged care community is designed to encourage stronger engagement with life and ultimately, to equip those under our care with the delivery of the highest quality of medical services.
Why Cairns West Medical Centre should be your only choice for your loved one
We realise the importance of communication with families and residents. While our focus is always on the care and needs of our residents, we also understand what you and your family are going through.
The benefits of our medical centre looking after your loved ones include:
- A unique GP and RACF nurse partnership that effectively guarantees the selected pair attending to your family member at the RACF become their ‘personal’ doctor and nurse.
- We take lead of the patient doctor relationship directly by initiating clear and honest communication with the family members the & the aged care facility team.
- The ability to interact with your family member’s health team quickly and efficiently; frequent communication also ensures continuity and increasing familiarity with the patient, ultimately promising a closer link between the patient, family and their doctor nurse team.
- A distinctive collaborative health care approach by a GP nurse team that is second to none. Two registered practitioners looking after your family member together, consistently safeguards against disjointed care separately by a different doctor and nurse visiting at separate times.
- Having a GP nurse team who are regularly on-hand and can build a rapport with residents is one of the keys to good health.
- Making sure the your loved one at the facility has a positive and great experience with their medical team because they know that a GP and nurse are going to be there every week and they know that if they are sick or need to be seen to, that they will have peace of mind.
- A systemic and structured annual health care plan
- A comprehensive medical assessment
- A residential medication management review
- Multi-disciplinary case conferences, family meetings where needed
- Scheduled long and standard nursing home visits in accordance with the annual health care plan
- Care plan contributions
- Personalised and individually tailored well-being guidance and advice
- Frequent and updated medicine reviews
- Patient’s prescriptions written in consultation with other third party health providers to ensure their best interests are preserved and to maintain their quality of life
- Peace of mind knowing that when your GP takes leave there is always another practitioner available ensuring uninterrupted consistency of care
Enquiries for other nursing homes interested in partnering with Cairns West Medical Centre or from families who would like their loves ones cared for by our medical centre can be directed to our team coordinator
by emailing email@example.com or by telephone 1800 343 233.